Lollipops

As a small girl, I recall going to the grocery store with my parents and my eyes being drawn to the colourful cluster of lollipops that the store would occasionally stock. Like any kid in a candy store, I would delight in imagining how sweet and wonderful they would taste. I didn't realize that my dad had noticed our eyes gazing longingly at the colourful candy until we had left the store and he would surprise us by handing us the candy with a grin.

This reminded me of how much more our Heavenly Father loves us. Much better than any earthly cravings, within each of us is the desire for eternity. 

C. S. Lewis once said, 
“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” 

And God, Our Father, did not leave us without the way to the kingdom He's prepared for the faithful. He sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for us, to pay the price for our sins, and Christ gave us the Catholic Church to guide us if we only take up our cross and follow Him.




Related Posts with Thumbnails